What we collect
You provide information by contacting us or donating to us via our Website, via email, by phone, by joining one of our Mermaids groups, or by attending one of our events. Depending on how you provide your information, we will collect some or all of the following information when you contact us or attend one of our events:
- your name;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- where you attend one of our events, your address and proof of address;
- reason for becoming a member;
- contact details;
- if you are a parent, carer or guardian, we will collect details about your child such as your child’s name, age and gender), where relevant and necessary for the provision of our services; and
- brief summary of why you have called.
We will also process sensitive personal data (such as data concerning your gender identification) about you in the course of our legitimate activities.
Where you donate via BT MyDonate, BT MyDonate will send us the following information about you where we request it:
- your name;
- email address; and
What we do with the information we gather
As it is in our legitimate interests to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, we use your personal data:
- for security purposes (so that we can: verify the identity of the member, safeguard our membership groups; keep our events safe and secure;
- to provide the services;
- for internal record keeping;
- to improve and tailor our services;
- to arrange events; and
- where you consent, to send you promotional emails about new projects, or request feedback, or provide other information which we think you will find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
Where you donate via BT MyDonate, BT MyDonate will send us your name, email address and address where we request this from them. We will use this information where it is in our legitimate interests in order to determine which events our donors receive sponsorship for.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet or email is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted through the Website or over email; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data against loss, theft and unauthorised use, access or modification.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we are required by law to do so.
Sharing and storing your personal data
The personal data provided when you contact us or attend one of our events is stored by Google Drive in the United States and other servers located globally and in our relationships management database which is provided by Charitylog and is located in the UK.
Where we transfer your personal data to advisors outside the EEA, the transfer will be under the Commission’s model contracts for the transfer of personal data to third countries (i.e., the standard contractual clauses), pursuant to Decision 2010/87/EU. Please contact email@example.com, if you would like to see a copy of the standard contractual clauses.
We will also share your personal data in emergencies, where we will share your personal data with the emergency services, to the extent necessary to protect your vital interests.
How long do we store your personal data?
We retain your information as follows:
- If you are one of our Mermaids group members, we will retain your data so that we can easily retrieve it when you call us or attend one of our events. However, if we have no contact with you for two years, we will contact you to confirm whether you wish to remain a member. If you do not wish to remain a member or we do not receive a response from you, we will delete your data.
- If you are a member of one of Mermaids groups, you can terminate your membership at any time. If you terminate your membership, your information will be deleted within 12 months.
- If you donate, we will retain the personal data collected for the purposes of administering the donation for 24 months, and then the data is deleted.
After you have terminated your use of Mermaids services, we will store your information in an aggregated and anonymised format in order to use this data for statistical purposes to improve our services and in order to complete grant applications.
You have certain rights in relation to the personal data we hold about you. Some of these only apply in certain circumstances. We have described these situations below, as well as how you can exercise your rights. To exercise any of your rights, please fill out the following form and submit it to this address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that for each of the rights below we will, in some instances, have valid legal reasons to refuse your request, in such instances we will let you know if that is the case.
- You have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Access: You have the right to know whether we process personal data about you, ad if we do, to access data we hold about you and certain information about how we use it and whom we share it with.
- Portability: You have the right to receive a subset of the personal data you provide us if we process it on the bases of our contract with you or with your consent in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and a right to request that we transfer such personal data to another party. If you wish for us to transfer the personal data to another party, please ensure you detail that party and note that we can only do so where it is technically feasible. We are not responsible for the security of the personal data or its processing once received by the third party.
- Correction: You have the right to require us to correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate and have incomplete data completed.
- Erasure: You have the right to request that we erase the personal data we hold about you in the following circumstances:
- where you believe it is no longer necessary for us to hold the personal data;
- we are processing it on the basis of your consent and you wish to withdraw your consent;
- we are processing your data on the basis of our legitimate interest and you object to such processing;
- you no longer wish us to use your data to send you marketing; or
- you believe we are unlawfully processing your data.
Please provide as much detail as possible on your reasons for the request to assist us in determining whether you have a valid basis for erasure.
- Restriction of Processing to Storage Only: You have a right to require us to stop processing the personal data we hold about you other than for storage purposes in the following circumstances:
- you believe the personal data is not accurate for the period it takes for us to verify whether the data is accurate;
- we wish to erase the personal data as the processing we are doing is unlawful but you want us to simply restrict the use of that data;
- we no longer need the personal data for the purposes of the processing but you require us to retain the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- you have objected to us processing personal data we hold about you on the basis of our legitimate interest and you wish us to stop processing the personal data whilst we determine whether there is an overriding interest in us retaining such personal data.
- Objection: You have the right to object to our processing of data about you and we will consider your request. Please provide us with detail as to your reasoning so that we can assess whether there is a compelling overriding interest in us continuing to process such data or we need to process it in relation to legal claims.
Withdrawal of Consent
Where you have provided your consent to us processing your personal data, you can withdraw your consent at any time by emailing email@example.com.
Objection to Marketing
At any time you have the right to object to our processing of data about you in order to contact you about Mermaids news and events and we will stop processing the data for that purpose.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how we process your personal data, please contact us in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will endeavour to deal with your request. This is without prejudice to your right to launch a claim with the Information Commissioner’s Office or the data protection supervisory authority in the EU country in which you live or work where you think we have infringed data protection laws.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. In some circumstances, this will prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
You can find more information about cookies and how to manage them at http://www.allaboutcookies.org/
Links to other websites
Our website will, in some circumstances, contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Any material changes we make to this policy in the future will be posted on this page. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this policy.
Questions, comments and requests regarding this policy are welcomed and should be addressed to email@example.com or you can write to us at: Mermaids, Suite 5, High Street House, 2 The High Street, Yeadon, Leeds, LS19 7PP.