Butterfly is a heartfelt and sensitive drama about the complex relationship between separated parents, Vicky (Anna Friel) and Stephen (Emmett J. Scanlan), and their division in opinion over how to support their youngest child, Max (Callum Booth-Ford).

From a young age, Max has identified as a girl but has tried to suppress these feelings in an attempt to earn Stephen’s approval. When Max’s feelings become increasingly distressing, Stephen seizes the opportunity to return to live at the family home, hoping to encourage male bonding and prove himself to Vicky.

What unfolds is the greatest challenge and test of love and understanding imaginable. The social transitioning of Max to Maxine is initially thwarted because of the clear division of opinion between Vicky and Stephen.   

Despite puberty looming over her, as Maxine grows in confidence she becomes increasingly certain that she’s in the right skin – will this be enough to get everyone else on board? Both parents want to protect Maxine but are completely split on the best way to do that.

Stephen is still clinging to the idea that it’s still a passing ‘phase’ and doesn’t want to take such a leap with the ensuing emotional upheaval, if it isn’t ultimately going to be followed through. Whilst for Vicky, it’s about making sure that Maxine’s mental health is kept intact at all costs.

Butterfly embraces the story of a three-generational family and exposes the truly extraordinary demands made by everyone in the family. Across three episodes viewers will see how they all prosper or fall as the string of challenges unfold over time.

Butterfly FAQs

Episode 1

What can someone do if they are victim to transphobic bullying?

Report to the Police

Hate crimes and incidents are any crime or incident which is targeted at a victim because of the offender's hostility or prejudice against an identifiable group of people. So any incident or crime (which bullying can amount to), which is perceived to be motivated because of a person's transgender identity will be recorded as such. Hate crimes or incident and should be reported to the police:

In an emergency

  • Call 999 or 112.
  • If you cannot make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first. 

Contact the police

  • On either 999 or 112 or by visiting your local station
  • Who you can speak to in confidence. You do not have to give your personal details, but please be aware the investigation and ability to prosecute the offender(s) is severely limited if the police cannot contact you. 
  • If you feel safe and comfortable, mention the action to be of a transphobic nature as this will ensure it is dealt with as a hate crime/incident  

Report online

  • You can report online using the facility on this website.   

By reporting it, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else.

Working with the School

The public sector Equality Duty requires schools to eliminate discrimination on the grounds of gender reassignment. This includes supporting a child to socially transition or to be treated in their self-identified gender, as well as to tackling transphobic bullying. Schools are also required to advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations. This means that schools should go beyond tackling bullying and take proactive steps to celebrate difference and promote respect of others. 

Ask the incident to be recorded on the school record and enquire as to what the school is going to do in response to the incident. If you are not happy with the school’s response ask for their decision around their approach to be explained in writing together with a copy of any policy or guidance used to reach such a decision. 

Approaching the school and being part of an honest assessment of the problems you have and an opportunity to explore the best ways to address them. 

Other options are also available at “What should my school do to support me if I come out as trans?” section 

Please note this answer does not constitute legal advice and should you need legal representation this should be sought directly. Please contact our helpline on 0344 334 0550 should you want to discuss your situation with our legal department.

Domestic abuse and what to do about it

If you are in an emergency situation you should call the police on 999.

Domestic Violence can be dealt with at both a criminal and civil level. 

The Police would pursue the criminal aspect of any situation, but individuals can also consider pursuing a civil action. The Family Law Act 1996 also provides remedies for domestic violence that provide protection; these include a ‘Non Molestation Order’ (NMO) and/or an ‘Occupation Order’ (OO). 

A NMO prohibits someone from molesting another person who they are associated with; children under 16, if they have sufficient understanding, can also apply for a NMO with leave from the court. 

An OO aims to regulate the occupation of the family home and can exclude someone from it. 

Please note this answer does not constitute legal advice and should you need legal representation this should be sought directly. Please contact our helpline on 0344 334 0550 should you want to discuss your situation with our legal department.